FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagramTumblrGoogleYouTube

RSS Feed Print
TVTropes.org
Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 8:32 PM

I'm sure you've all heard of this website.  It's amazingly detailed and wonderfully snarky.  However, I DO NOT recommend going there while you're working on a project! lol  I tend to second-guess myself, which can be death for my motivation.   Anyway, what do you all think of this site?

Robert C Roman
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:05 AM

It's addictive.

It's fun, and *very* informative if you're a beginning writer, because it will clue you in to the stereotypes out there. Or it can. Even if it does eat up a lot of time. I've actually pointed my Young Writers that way, and their work has improved because of it; they use fewer cliches, and when they use them, they're doing so deliberately rather than haphazardly.
Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:45 PM

Do you teach in a classroom setting? The site would be a helpful tool, for sure, in that case.

Jessie Kwak
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 5:19 AM

I stumbled on this site a few months ago while looking for Star Trek (Next Gen) cast photos to use as inspiration for a felt mobile to hang over my infant niece's crib. Yes, truly.

I got stuck there for hours clicking links and reading their terribly insightful commentary. I definitely recommend it, thanks for bringing it up!
LisaMarie
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 5:48 AM

Now, how am I supposed to know, Mahesh? You told me not to go there!
RebeccaStevenson
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 6:50 PM

It's a fun site if you have a few hours to kill.

I can also recommend "The Tough Guide to Fantasy" for a very dry skewering of some overused genre tropes.
Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 7:19 PM

@LisaMarie ... d'oh!

@Rebecca ... thanks for the rec!!

@Jesse ... that is a great idea for a mobile,
Nefasti
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:22 AM

I avoid tvtropes.com unless I know I can afford a few hours snickering in front of the computer. It's so much fun.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:42 PM

@Mahesh - I teach science in a classroom setting, but I run the NaNoWriMo YWP at our school as well.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:45 AM

Oh, TV Tropes. I have lost many hours on that site. It is quite interesting and I do find the tropes popping up into my head. And it makes me more aware as I'm writing.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 8:00 PM

Kyoko, that's a good idea! I think I'll do that for my own stories as well.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 2:55 PM

On a similar vein, if you are publishing yourself online, add your story to pages!  Its a great semiviral marketing method.

J.M. Berenswick
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 11:07 PM
I'm on that site all the time! It's so much fun.
napacione
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 7:23 PM

Mahesh Raj Mohan wrote:
I'm sure you've all heard of this website.  It's amazingly detailed and wonderfully snarky.  However, I DO NOT recommend going there while you're working on a project! lol  I tend to second-guess myself, which can be death for my motivation.   Anyway, what do you all think of this site?

One of my contributors on namesake 2 did a photo using one of the tropes;  the lady writing the introduction for one of my anthology is exploring some of them.  I didn't think they had a trope based on H. P. Lovecraft work but you do admit it's kind of funny. I recommend it if you're doing a photo shoot situation as I can show you one of the examples via Professor Kara Cooney's facebook page (I was going, Debbie went through with this photo and forced herself to watch Televangelists while done up like this.)   She did a few versions of this photograph as she did two where she had the zipper on the black layer done from the back then the result of the other was in the second layer   I was going "are you kidding me;  talk about bold and in the wake of unfolded at Wheaton College no less." The photo is clear what they call nightmare fuel because what if someone had gut caught with a bronchitis attack and unable to get to a phone.  You have a unique horror villain going where they leave them to live but the horror remains inside them from the mental pictures one faced seeing their own photos on the web done up like Cleopatra. 

Search templates (CTRL+Space)

Search templates (CTRL+Space)
New TemplateHide button

--edited by napacione on 1/24/2016, 7:26 PM--

Jump to different Forum...