FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagramTumblrGoogleYouTube

RSS Feed Print
Advice wanted - YA Novel
imagineheaven
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:09 PM

Hi! 

After months of this story lingering in my computer storage, I've decided I'm interested in publishing it. But after going through it, I've realized 1) it isn't even 1/2 as good as I thought it was 2) there are too many adverbs 3) there are many redundancies and 4) I love writing, and I would love the idea of being published, but I'm not paying thousands of dollars for a "professional author" to edit my work. I was wondering if people could check out my story The Crack in the Eggshell and see what they think! (It's kind of long, so you don't have to read the whole thing if you don't want to.)

Thanks,

imagineheaven

nate1952
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2016 8:33 PM

Consider that you have just saved thousands of dollars.  happy

At this stage of your manuscript, though, it will be important just to cut. I had some spare time, and left notes for the first two Chapters - plus the prologue that you can just slice out entirely. If the desire to publish is in your heart, then the first thing to do is to put your baby in front of you - and start trimming. Shorter. More pungent. Faster moving. And more of the individual world of an individual person than just the same old crap from all the other YA books.

If you don't want to deal with an editor, find beta readers - and give them nice new highlighters in their choice of color. Tell them to mark up all the places they got bored. I'm betting you'll end up with a manuscript a lot shorter than 113K.

PS: The program that created this manuscript put all kinds of extra codes in it when it transferred over to the Book Country database. You'll want some technical help to get it readable. Another reason I stopped after two chapters (all those little anchor symbols everywhere).

Hope this proves helpful in your decision.

- Nate Briggs (SLC)

Jump to different Forum...